Friday, July 27, 2012

8/1

August 1st is a big day in our house.  We home school our children and on August 1st our twins, Zoe and Zane, start kindergarten.  Julie, my wife, will now have 3 children in Elementary school (the twins, plus Zach who is going into 4th grade) and 1 child, Zadie, who will be starting her preschool activities.

Also on August 1st, we are eliminating cable/satellite television from our house.  This is our first, big move toward living a simpler life.  This is not necessarily a move against the programming found on television.  In fact we are keeping Netflix internet streaming, which houses most of the shows that they watch  We are fairly selective about what the kids watch and Julie and I watch very little TV any more.  It is not a move against the amount of time that is spent watching TV.  While we would love for our kids to spend more time reading or in creative play, the amount of TV they watch has not become a problem.  Also, it is not a cost issue.  While I will enjoy being able to play with an extra $60 in our budget, the cost was not breaking our backs.

So what is it?  Commercials.

Advertising is based on a very simple philosophy.  First, create a WANT.  Then make that WANT a NEED.  Then make that NEED a NECESSITY.  Finally (but not really), create a new WANT.

Full Disclosure ... I work in an advertising field and have for the past 12 years.  I believe in capitalism and I think that advertising has its place.

Advertising plays an extremely large part in our lives, whether we realize it or not.  Why does television exist?  Television exists to sell you things.  I love NFL football.  The excitement, the strategy, the highs, the lows ... I love it.  I look forward to the start of the season every year.  It is that excitement that has enabled the NFL to receive record breaking television and endorsement contracts.  Breaking this down to the core ... NFL football exists to sell me Miller Lite ... or Nike shoes ... or Ford Trucks ... or ... or ... or.

Please don't get me wrong.  I believe we make our own choices and that we are not victims to some evil corporate conspiracy.  I fear this is whiny ... that's not my point. My point is to use the written word to sort out this journey to simplicity and this is our first attempt.  I just know that I am susceptible to wanting what is marketed to me and that I also see that trait displayed in the buying/wanting habits of my children.

Wanting, coveting and envy are all emotional responses to advertising that subtly attaches to much of what we see.  The definition of addiction is a habit of activity.  Advertising seeks to create habits and influence your activities and if we are not careful, we can develop some pretty unhealthy addictions.

So like the alcoholic that limits their exposure to liquor stores and bars, we will now limit our exposure to the wonderful world of advertising.  (With all that being said ... I can't wait for the start of the NFL season ... GO GIANTS)

No comments:

Post a Comment